On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 02:43:26PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I have actually been considering doing a Fedora workstation light spin for
> > budget x86 machines with 1G / 2G of RAM and an eMMC.
> >
> I agree and think that a spin would be needed. There is going to be an
> audience for it, but I expect it is a distinct set who are looking for it
> on small environments and can put up with not having access to 'XYZ app
> which needs 12 GB of ram out the block'

I think there's probably three things:

1. A lightweight spin for more extreme use cases

2. Looking at the big things like packagekitd and gnome-software that could
   perhaps be altered or slimmed down. (For example: perhaps a much more
   lightweight process for _just_ the search provider, and maybe even
   something that doesn't need to run all the time to provide that?)

3. Working to move more things to be activated only when needed, or only run
   when they make sense. Modem Manager, Speech Dispatcher.... I see I'm
   running bluetoothd on my desktop system which does not have bluetooth.
   And I don't sync my calendar to my desktop, so all of the infrastructure
   for doing that is just running for no reason.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>