On 6/18/21 1:42 AM, Mark Otaris wrote:
For Fedora, linux-hardware.org says 78% use EFI and 16% have Secure Boot
enabled. Not a very good data set, though Fedora telemetry wouldn’t be either.
Of ~ 1K linux boxes in&around my env -- bare metal & VM, servers & desktops --
~ 550 are now running fully updated F34.

Of those, ~ 95% are AMD; remainder are Intel.  No ARM.

Of the total, per a quick survey,

        ~ 15% have _no_ avx/avx2 support
        ~ 40% have avx-only support
        rest have avx/avx2 support

NONE of the no-avx or avx-only machines are "suffering" from any performance
problems for their current business/technical usage.

Here, the 1st response to "my OS suddenly no longer supports this hardware"
will seldom-if-ever be to replace the hardware.

At best, I'll freeze the machine's s/w base @ last-supported, and look to
replace the OS.

There are real/significant costs to H/W upgrade/replacement -- both capital &
expense;  Planning & budgeting for them is often on a multi-year timeframe.
Particularly at scale.  And my env is relatively quite small on the global stage.

This seemingly endless stream of drop-the-old-hardware discussions, even if
reasonable for some, is a cause for tangible concern that I've gotten myself
into a tactical, eggs-in-one-basket mess.  Again.

With RockyLinux today at GA, time to explore/compare a 'plan B' & whether it
provides some differently sensible support planning.
Or whether YA-x-distro firedrill is inevitable.

( "fun fact" for me:

        my own laptop that sits ~ 3 ft from me as I type this, serves as my
diagnostic/troubleshooting box on my LAN, and when traveling, obviously falls
into the currently discussed 'decrepit' pile, lacking modern flags

                egrep "model name|flags" /proc/cpuinfo | head -n2
                        model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370
@ 2.40GHz
                        flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8
apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm
pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm arat flush_l1d

        but _very_ capably runs

                lsb_release -rd
                        Release:        34

                uname -rm
                        5.12.11-300.fc34.x86_64 x86_64

        with

                KDE 5.82.0 / Plasma 5.21.5

        and, although I don't use, or plan to use, it as a networked build farm
anytime soon ... bind9 certainly builds from source well enough on it; though,
admittedly, takes awhile.

)