We had several discussions recently that could use some real-world data on e.g.:

- x86_64-v2 prevalence

- GUILE usage in make/gdb

- count of systems with UEFI/GPT vs BIOS/MBR

- debugd server usage

- etc

The common thread is that some sort of measurement would help figuring out the best technical solution for the Fedora community, but such measurement would require transmitting and collecting data in the Fedora infrastructure.  Such telemetry is usually criticized from two related angles: a general objection to online telemetry, and a practical argument about the complicated legal ramifications of online data collection in multiple jurisdictions. Stephen recently responded with an eloquent argument why it's very hard to come up with an acceptable collection scheme (see below).

This problem is of course not unique to Fedora---everyone is in the same boat of finding a middle ground between anonymity and indiscriminate data collection. I think most people would agree that data-driven decisions are better than gut feeling-based ones, so it is to our benefit to control and possibly allow _some_ data to be used for that purpose.

Few days ago I attended a talk by a practicing data scientist working with social data where the privacy issues are even more important: some of the data can literally have life-altering consequences to people covered by the collection. I asked him about the best practices and guidelines for responsible data collection, and he directed me to this presentation:

https://the-engine-room.github.io/responsible-data-handbook/pages/slides.html

My personal take-aways from reading this material are:

- we're not alone in this---other people have thought through these issues and came up with workable ideas

- it helps to keep things in perspective----the data about people's computers is less consequential than e.g data about their ethnicity or politics

- there are legal requirements for Consent (notice/disclosure): they are workable, though

- it matters how the data is used: publishing full logs vs. using the aggregated data for internal improvement

Anyway, this is my personal, uneducated take on it. Hope it is helpful.