On 11. 10. 21 21:41, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 08:17:36PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 11. 10. 21 20:14, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 08:21:51AM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
Dne 07. 10. 21 v 18:23 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
When are you supposed to run remove-retired-packages?
After the upgrade.

If you run remove-retired-packages after the upgrade, you already
managed to upgrade and nothing is broken, no?

Nothing is broken **now**. But it very often broke N+1 or N+2
upgrade. I remember some package broken N+5 upgrade. And then you
(or some co-maintainer) hesitated to add it to
fedora-obsolete-packages because "it is too old". :)

That's why we should keep packages in f-o-p for much longer than we
currently do. There was just a thread about Jiri upgrading from F22
to a recent release. That procedure would have been made easier if
f-o-p had more packages.

What exactly is the rationale for constantly trimming the list in f-o-p?

It is a huge mess to maintain.

Hmm, I still don't get it. It's just a list that you append to at the end.
Old entries don't need to be touched at all.

The list is super huge and provenpackagers add stuff to the middle of it or create duplicate entries. I've seen that happening even when it's starting to get huge before the cleanup.

--
Miro Hrončok