On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 02:12:43PM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > Furthermore as someone dealing with bug reports I don't have access
> > to the RPM database. That is on the end user's machine. Often all I
> > get is a core dump attached to a bug report, and if I'm lucky they
> > manually typed a couple of RPM NEVRs into the bug description. On
> > many occassions I've found the NEVRs the user supplied in the
> > description to be wrong due to mistakes on the bug reporter's side
> > collecting the data.
>
> How are those bugs reported? Are the users using a reporting tool / crash
> handler (e.g., ABRT, DrKonqi, Breakpad, …) or filing the bugs manually? Can
> we improve the reporting tool to include the required information?

It is about manually reported scenarios. This isn't neccessarily even using
bugzilla - user can have reported to the problem directly to upstream
bug tracker. Or the user reported a bugzilla and we then asked them to
capture a core, or they later noticed there was a core.

The automated reporting tools aren't involved here.

> I have never been a big fan of ABRT (among other things, because it files
> reports only downstream), but one thing it does properly is that dso_list
> attachment that includes the package NEVRs for each ELF binary loaded in the
> process.

AFAIK, that assumes the package NEVRs on disk haven't changed on disk
since the process was spawned.

Regards,
Daniel