On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 4:07 PM Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> wrote:

> > Dne 27. 10. 21 v 21:35 Luca Boccassi napsal(a):
> >
> > In repository in general (can be deb, zypper, local directory). Even the
> > offline systems
> > have some repository where they
> > get the packages from.
> >
> > Miroslav
>
> How do you know which one is it then? You have a core file from a container
> long gone. Do you use dnf? zypper? apt? To which repository do you point them
> to? Did it even have one?
> And even if you have all the information, which is far from certain, what if
> what's crashing is what allows you to contact the remote service in the first
> place and all that's working is a serial console? This might not be what you
> personally face daily, but it's what many others do.
>
> With the current system everything needs to align just right. Most often it's
> true and it works beautifully, but not always. In many deployments the
> requirements directly forbid some of the needed pieces. What we are trying to
> do is make sure the bare minimum you get in a core file is usable and
> actionable even when everything has gone horribly wrong, because that's when
> you need it the most. For a ~200 bytes per binary cost, which in other
> situations like for example changing compiler version/flags would be
> perceived as being negligible.

For what it's worth, I don't like this idea at all. I've objected to
it plenty when it was being devised in systemd upstream. However, it
exists, and I know vendors do bad/unreasonable things all the time,
and it'd be nice to have some automatic ways to introspect content
when vendors do stupid things.

I'm fine with it even though I think it's not a very good idea. It's
not a lot of extra stuff and it (hopefully) won't regularly break when
the compiler is upgraded like annobin does.