On Do, 28.10.21 00:22, Fedora Development ML (devel@lists.fedoraproject.org)
wrote:

> And me mentioning "crash handler" and "no core dumps" together is
> not a mistake. A well-designed crash handler does NOT operate on
> core dumps, but on live processes.  This implies that it should be
> triggered by a signal handler within the executable, ideally shipped
> by the upstream so that it reports the crashes directly
> upstream. (This is how KCrash and DrKonqi work.  But also, e.g.,
> Google Breakpad.)

I am sorry but this is a rubbish idea. Don't process crashes from
inside the crashed process, you are working in a corrupted
environment, with memory issues and you might modify the image as you
are part of it. You run with full user creds while doing so, and since
crash dumping/backtrace generation is ultimately parsing data that#s a
bad idea.

If you want to analyze crashes safely then do it strictly offline,
i.e. on an immutable, frozen dump of the image, from the outside, and
do it in a sandboxed environment, so that your analysis can't easily
be exploited. It's the only safe and robust thing you can do if you
actually want to do this in an automatic way.

(hint: this is what systemd-coredump does. For a reason.)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin