On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Gordon Messmer
<gordon.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/29/21 07:26, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 29/12/2021 16:01, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> Currently, the RPM databases is located in `/var`. Let's move it to
> >> `/usr`. The move is already under way in rpm-ostree-based
> >> installations, and in (open)SUSE.
> >
> > It will break FHS compatibility. /usr must contain read-only data.
>

> If /usr really is read-only, then it probably doesn't matter where the
> rpmdb is, since packages can't be installed (generally).
>
> Moreover, for systems where /usr is read-only and/or shared (especially
> stateless systems), having the rpmdb on /usr seems like the most
> rational place for it, if one expects to be able to use rpm to query the
> package list.  Otherwise, there is an implicit coupling of /usr and
> /var/lib/rpmdb that requires two mounts rather than one.

Bingo. It's generally accepted that the RPM database changes when the
system state changes. And if the system state is not allowed to
change, the rpmdb should not either. The bigger problem is that having
the RPM database in /var makes it much harder to correctly implement a
boot-to-snapshot scheme for Fedora Linux that reasonably maintains
system state properly once /var is carved out. The reason that /var
*isn't* carved out by default with our Btrfs configuration is because
of the RPM database. Once the RPM database is moved, it becomes
possible to split /var into its own subvolume and make it trivial to
configure a full boot-to-snapshot system leveraging the technologies
we have available to us.