On Wed, 2021-12-29 at 12:57 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Gordon Messmer
> <gordon.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It will break FHS compatibility. /usr must contain read-only data.
> >

> > If /usr really is read-only, then it probably doesn't matter where
> > the
> > rpmdb is, since packages can't be installed (generally).
> >
> > Moreover, for systems where /usr is read-only and/or shared
> > (especially
> > stateless systems), having the rpmdb on /usr seems like the most
> > rational place for it, if one expects to be able to use rpm to query
> > the
> > package list.  Otherwise, there is an implicit coupling of /usr and
> > /var/lib/rpmdb that requires two mounts rather than one.
>
> Bingo. It's generally accepted that the RPM database changes when the
> system state changes. And if the system state is not allowed to
> change, the rpmdb should not either. The bigger problem is that having
> the RPM database in /var makes it much harder to correctly implement a
> boot-to-snapshot scheme for Fedora Linux that reasonably maintains
> system state properly once /var is carved out.

you just need change to change the default --dbpath of rpm [1] , i.e, I
suggest instead change default location of rpm , change the dbpath
configuration for the atomic images, is just one idea .

[1]
man rpm
--dbpath DIRECTORY
Use the database in DIRECTORY rather than the default path /var/lib/rpm

--
Sérgio M. B.