> The question is: how many users do we want to leave behind? Or: how many
> users must we leave behind because we can’t do the job.

We are just users.  Our expert development is for other professions than
writing drivers and operating systems.

My company has about 200 Fedora user PCs around the world.
Plus about 20 servers in real hardware and 30-50 in virtual.
More are in RedHat too but I am not talking about those here.

We had decided on the RH+Centos+Fedora Eco system.

All desktops and some laptops (that equals about 170) use NVidia graphics.  In
every case we use the NVidia drivers.  They are built with the DKIM software.
It is not convenient but it is worth the effort.  We can rely on the NVidia
software to work all the time. And we have access to the CUDA code and so on.

For the servers plus the user PCs about 60% are on BIOS boot not UEFI.  May be
half of those are BIOS only.

My company has a budget.  We do the planning for 2-3 years.
It pays for developers salarys.  And for new hardware.  And for VPS rental
costs.  And for user training.
And for our Enterprise support products and services like RedHat.

Unplanned and unexpected changes cost to my company a very large amount.
We always plan our strategy to control and best minimize that cost.
We must operate successfully for to pay those salarys and to purchase that
hardware and services.

All of this discussion waves a red flag at us.
We think we hear that Fedora has philosophy arguments about opensource and
propietary and BIOS and UEFI.
We read the crazy mathematics about numbers of users based on I don't know what.

But only a few people are talking about the real costs to users.

Okay, the developers here are interested only in what makes the life easier for
them.
And want to not have "3rd party vendors now dictate" decisions.
I can understand that theory too.

But for here we deal with the real world where budgets require plans and
hardware exists for years.
With this decision making the red flag means that "today & now" we must start
with planning for alternatives to the RH+Centos+Fedora Eco system.

We did not expect this from the RH+Centos+Fedora Eco system.
That maybe is our mistake?

And that is all just one person at one company's opinion.

Jado