Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> For example EU has regulation that requires vendors to have spare parts
> available for 7–10 years after date of manufacturing so it makes sense
> for the project to support hw no longer than a decade from the date of
> it's manufacturing.

I fail to imagine what use case you might have in mind where that
requirement would interact with Fedora. If such regulation would be
applied to Fedora, the closest equivalent would be that the Fedora
Project would be required to provide bug fixes to old releases for seven
to ten years, so Fedora would essentially have to be RHEL.

If I had the kind of strictly specified system where any broken part
must be replaced with an identical part, then I would definitely not
run the constantly changing Fedora on it. Such a system would rather
run RHEL, or something even more stable than RHEL. It makes no sense to
take special care to keep the hardware unchanging for ten years, even
when repairing it, and then replace the software twice a year with
different user interfaces, changed behavior and a new set of bugs in
every release.

As for the kind of computers that Fedora is suitable for, I'll use them
until they break, whether that happens after five or fifteen years, and
then I'll replace the broken part or the whole computer with modern
hardware that can be expected to last for many more years.

If a broken part is less than three years old, then I have a right to
get it repaired or replaced. Past the three-year limit I won't make any
attempt to buy the exact same model to replace a broken motherboard
(where the bios is stored). I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to the
latest stuff when I need to buy a new motherboard anyway, so it will
remain useful for as long as possible. That doesn't change at any seven-
or ten-year limit. I seriously doubt I could find a seven-year-old
motherboard on the market anyway. Used perhaps, but not from the vendor.

If a computer doesn't break, I may eventually have to replace it when
the processor can no longer keep up with the software's demands, but
that takes much longer than ten years nowadays.

Björn Persson