On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 8:58 AM JadoNena <jadochneina...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > On Thursday, April 14th, 2022 at 8:43 AM, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.  You are one of those several people that
> we have been reading has some good sense for users!
>
> > First: do not panic!
>
> Of course panic is a bad idea.
> I am just observing this largest ever (?), very loud public thread.
> Our response is to start planning.  It it our "anti-panic" approach and we
> work to never kick the can too far along.
>
> > Second: This is not a foregone conclusion yet. It's merely a
>
> Yes that is a possibility too.
>
> But I do not even now see it as a choice to NOT begin to plan and act.
> Not with this discussion, even if there are some user-supporting voices.
>
> > Third: You pay for enterprise support from Red Hat, Inc. That means
> > you have the ability to inform Red Hat through your business
> > relationship of your needs.
>
> It is good advice.  Of course we are doing that too.
> They listen to be sure. The usual action if not the answer is that RedHat is
> not Fedora. So use more RedHat.
> Of course it is many @redhat voices here, in this Fedora discussion, that
> look like they are making these proposals.
> It is a circle of logic that we have not so much luck with.
> In our experience there is there also a disconnection too often between
> revenue, customer requirements, and developers.  That is a different
> discussion and, today, it does not really matter what "we" think about it, it
> is just the way of things.

I've heard this before in the past too. Thankfully nowadays, it's much
easier to refute that. While it is true that RHEL is not Fedora and
they can (and sometimes do) make substantially different choices for
RHEL than Fedora did, they largely don't (especially since they've
been burned fairly recently doing that once).

With Fedora ELN providing that RHEL-ish build of Fedora Rawhide
continuously[1], the goal is to be able to take that to build the next
major version of CentOS Stream faster, which directly becomes Red Hat
Enterprise Linux[2].

With this information in hand, it's easy to see that Fedora Changes
are a good proxy for how future RHEL might evolve, and it's worth
giving feedback early about those changes to your Red Hat account
team. I certainly know of others who do that with decent success. :)

[1]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/eln/
[2]: https://www.redhat.com/en/resources/centos-stream-datasheet