On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 10:33 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 06, 2022 at 10:19:19AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 10:11 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > During the FESCo panel during Nest one of the conclusions was that FESCo
> > > should
> > > take a more proactive role in pushing changes in Fedora. We talked about
> > > enabling
> > > koschei by default and other similar things. Here's my attempt to start
> > > with
> > > something I hope will be somewhat easier:
> > >
> > > ** Let's make %autorelease + %autochangelog the default approach in
> > > Fedora packaging **
> > >
> > > I think we should follow the Change process for this, to raise visibility
> > > and
> > > reach all interested parties. I'll file such a Change later [*], based on
> > > the
> > > initial feedback here. Jump to the end to see the proposed Scope.
> > >
> > > ** Why? **
> > >
> > > The original motivation for %autorelease + %autochangelog was to save some
> > > typing for packagers. In Fedora all packaging work happens in dist-git,
> > > so every
> > > change would need to be described twice: once in the %changelog entry and
> > > a second time in the git commit message.
> > >
> > > A second motivation is to ease cherry-picking commits between branches.
> > > The
> > > Release field and the %changelog sections would often be the only source
> > > of a
> > > trivial conflict when merging branches or when backporting a commit from
> > > rawhide
> > > to a release branch.
> > >
> > > A third motivation to improve the workflow for pull requests. (This is a
> > > variant
> > > of the previous item, but worth mentioning on its own.) If a pull request
> > > is not
> > > merged right away, the Release value used may in the meantime be taken by
> > > different update, and the %changelog text may conflict.
> > >
> > > A fourth motivation that has become more relevant is rust2rpm and other
> > > automatic packaging workflows. As described e.g. in Fabio's Rust Packaging
> > > Tutorial [2], one may want to regenerate the spec file for new rust2rpm
> > > version
> > > or when the package is updated. With the traditional %changelog section,
> > > old
> > > entries need to be copied over, but with %autochangelog we get continuity
> > > without any additional work.
> > >
> > > ** Why now? **
> > >
> > > rpmautospec has been slowly improving over time. With the 0.2.6 release,
> > > it
> > > is ready for general use with all packages.
> > >
> > > ** What exactly is being proposed? **
> > >
> > > rpmautospec [1], i.e. 'Release:%autorelease' and
> > > '%changelog\n%autochangelog'
> > > becomes the recommended workflow for new packages.
> > >
> > > All documentation is updated to describe this workflow.

> [...]

Do we want to assume that people use these less opinionated tools to
make packages for Fedora infrastructure? I know plenty of people
*don't* do that and use tools like rpmdevtools. That said, maybe it
makes sense to make a package of fedora templates and make it possible
for rpmdev-newspec to use them?