Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Being different than other distros is most confusing of all!

I have to disagree with that blanket assertion.

E.g., I believe it would have been much more confusing for our users if we
had shipped kdelibs 3.5.x as kdelibs4 (or "kdelibs4c2a" as Debian actually
called it, because they also handled a libstdc++ soname bump in a totally
weird way) rather than kdelibs3 as we did.

I believe version numbers should be human-readable, not reflect the internal
soname when they differ, even if that means we use a different package name
than distributions like Debian stubbornly sticking to soname-based
versioning.

        Kevin Kofler