On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 04:35:33PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> We have thousands of systemd services in Fedora. To "just add timeouts
> to things that take too long" would mean updating them individually.
> (Or maybe only some, but we don't really know which ones.)

Sure, although you can get user reports of them.

> This is never going to happen, it's just too much work, and there is
> no clear clear understanding if it is "safe" for any specific service.

Well, I would hope package maintainers would be able to know/figure this
out on their packages? I realize there's a lot of variables there, but
if a service is ok with the current timeout, but not ok with the new
proposed timeout the maintainer should be able to figure out why and fix
it, or add a timeout back to the old one?

> Instead, the idea is to attack the problem from the other end: reduce
> the timeout for everyone. Once this happens, we should start getting
> feedback about what services where this doesn't work. Some services
> legitimately need a long timeout (databases, etc), and for those the
> maintainers would usually have a good idea and can extend the timeout
> easily. Some services are just buggy, and with the additional visibility
> and tracebacks, it should be much easier to diagnose why they are slow.
>
> Approaching the problem from this side is much more feasible. We'll
> probably have to touch a dozen files instead of thousands.

Well, yes, for you, but it's not so great for the user with the dead
modem or broken databases. :(

But I guess in the end a service that is ok with 120 seconds, but not ok
with 15 seconds would hopefully be quite rare.

I do appreciate the change to do an abort on these units. Will that get
reported via abrt?

kevin