On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 at 16:36, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 06:16:07PM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Ok, but it seems safer to just add timeouts to things that take too long
> > and can safely be killed off rather than lowering the timeout for
> > everything and potentially kill things that cannot safely be killed.
> >
> > I realize it's a lot more work to try and fix particular slow things.
> >
> > It's hard to know what really needs more time and what just should be
> > killed off sooner. :(
>
> We have thousands of systemd services in Fedora. To "just add timeouts
> to things that take too long" would mean updating them individually.
> (Or maybe only some, but we don't really know which ones.)
> This is never going to happen, it's just too much work, and there is
> no clear clear understanding if it is "safe" for any specific service.
>
> Instead, the idea is to attack the problem from the other end: reduce
> the timeout for everyone. Once this happens, we should start getting
> feedback about what services where this doesn't work. Some services
> legitimately need a long timeout (databases, etc), and for those the
> maintainers would usually have a good idea and can extend the timeout
> easily. Some services are just buggy, and with the additional visibility
> and tracebacks, it should be much easier to diagnose why they are slow.
>
> Approaching the problem from this side is much more feasible. We'll
> probably have to touch a dozen files instead of thousands.

But most of those thousands of services never cause delays at
shutdown, so don't need to be touched in either case. The default
doesn't matter for them, as they never timeout anyway. The services
that do cause problems are less common, and only those ones would need
to be given a shorter timeout to solve most of the problems users
experience.

IIUC the difficulty is finding out which ones are being slow, but that
could be solved by changing the signal to SIGABRT, right?