I just posted a thread on discussion.fedoraproject.org:

 https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/future-of-encryption-in-fedora/80397

to invite discussion of a requirements document and draft plan about what
we might do for encrypting Fedora Workstation systems in the future. Please
follow up there, but for convenience, the message is reproduced below:

====

For quite a while, the Workstation Working Group has had open tickets to
improve the state of encryption in Fedora - and in particular get to the
point where we can make the installer encrypt systems by default.

In order to move that forward, I’ve been working on a requirements document
and draft plan. In very brief summary, the plan is:

   Use the upcoming btrfs fscrypt support to encrypt both the system
   and home directories. The system by default will be encrypted with
   an encryption key stored in the TPM and bound to the signatures
   used to sign the bootloader/kernel/initrd, providing protection against
   tampering, while home directories will be encrypted using the user’s
login
   password.

This plan is dependent on the on-going Unified Kernel Image support, since
currently Fedora uses unsigned initrds, and substituting the initrd would
allow an attacker to bypass all encryption. It represents a big change
where we go from having secure boot be something we spend a lot of effort
on, but actually doesn’t do much, to something we’re depending on in a big
way to provide an extra layer of security to the user.

I’d be interested in hearing, among other things:

* Are there requirements that the document doesn’t capture?
* Are there other threats that we should be trying to address?
* Is the focus on integrity a good idea?
* Do we actually need to separately encrypt home directories?
* Do we need to support a model where we bind the encryption key to the
current kernel and initrd without having the combination signed by Fedora?
* Should we be more seriously considering systemd-homed? What advantages
would we get by doing that?

Thanks for any feedback!
– Owen