On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 12:55:28PM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> There are a couple more disadvantages to using Discourse:
>
> * Several of the replies are lower-quality and are not contributing
> to the conversation.

That happens here too, of course. I think it's really a consequence of
greater conversation visibility rather than Discourse per se. And, Discourse
gives greater ability to moderate those -- either to hide them, or to split
them out into separate discussions so they don't distract. Or, at a greater
extreme if we want to do this, we could limit direct participation in some
discussions to members of FAS groups we decide (others could participate by
replying in linked threads).

> * There is no threading like we have with emails, so these replies
> are more disruptive and the discussion is less organized.

There actually _is_ threading in Discourse topics. It's just not presented
in as a nested tree. For example:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/future-of-encryption-in-fedora-desktop-variants/80397/4?replies_to_post_number=2

I probably should have been a little more active in moderating that thread.
But also, I'm working on building up a bigger moderation team to help with
that. (This too is waiting on the FAS group sync.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>