On 25/04/2023 09:40, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Jarek Prokop:

Personally, I have accounts on many, many Discourse instances, but I
don't think there is a single one I read somewhat regularly.  I find the
mailing list mode and the notifications rather unpredictable.  Maybe an
alternative client could help (nndiscourse?), but as far as I understand
it, there's no real API, so that's kind of hard?

I could find an API docs, and I could retreive posts.json from our
Fedora instance

https://docs.discourse.org/

So the question is, what is a "real API" that you would consider OK?

There has to be a login procedure, and it needs to be geared towards
alternative clients.  We currently have only this:

| To become authenticated you will need to create an API Key from the
| admin panel.

So its seems to be restricted to admin-approved integrations, and is not
intended for writing clients.

It is possible to allow users to generate their own API keys without
any admin involvement but there's no direct web interface to create
one - the client has to make a call to /user-api-key/new with certain parameters - full details are here:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/user-api-keys-specification/48536

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)