On Sat, 2023-04-22 at 12:16 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-04-22 at 10:37 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> > > Many lists *hold* mail from non-members, because mailing lists get tons
> > > of spam. So the mail won't get through until an admin approves it. That
> > > might happen right away...or it might happen in two days, when the mail
> > > is no longer relevant. We can't really just let all mails from non-
> > > members through because...spam.
> >
> > Right. I don't think we have many (or possibly any) lists that still
> > hold email from non-members. The flood of spam is just too high for that
> > for the last N years. So, almost all our lists are set to reject non
> > member posts. :(
>
> ah, I hadn't noticed that change :/ I could've sworn I still sometimes
> get hold notices when I send meeting announcements to lists I'm not
> subscribed to...

In theory we could make it simpler by sending back a message that
requires just a click to subscribe/authorize the email by a real user,
if they intend to do so, on their first email to a mailing list.
We could also allow posting to other mailing lists if the email address
is subscribed to any other list.

I realize this would require working on mailman and that is probably
something we do not want to spend time on ...

After all you have to subscribe to discourse as well to be able to post
... so there is no huge difference here.

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team