On Fri, Jun 2, 2023, 9:09 AM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> I think this sentiment is getting ahead of things. This thread _is_ that

effort.

Yes, but. In general, a better approach is to say "we plan on orphaning the
packages in $timeframe". Even if $timeframe is a week, it shifts the
perception to "we are communicating future plans" to "by they way we just
dropped this thing, good luck." I know the intent of the original post was
the former, but that doesn't mean people don't view it as the latter
(particularly when seen in the broader context). Ideally, of course,
$timeframe is longer than a week, but that's not always feasible. We all
have constraints on our time and effort.

Asking people to submit a Change when they want or need to stop
> working on something seems... burdensome. (And, uh, what happens if that
> change is rejected? There's no _making_ people do things.)

As the world's foremost expert on Fedora's Changes process, I agree. That
said, there's value in the cross-functional visibility of a Change
proposal. I've long thought we need an "announcement only" process that
looks very similar to the current process, but I could never quite convince
myself I knew how that should work. (This thread is not the place to
discuss it, but maybe I'll start a separate conversation about that later)