The distros that provide commercial support beside RedHat have been sort of doing something similar. Canonical provides Ubuntu LTS, a distro with 5 years of development, and then additional 5 years of maintenance for those with subscription. SUSE, also, 5 years major release support for OpenSUSE where there is continuous development, and then if you want the full 10 years (with the additional 5 years of maintenance), you would choose SUSE Enterprise and paid the subscription fee.
Debian provides only 5 years cycle, and no support after that at all.

Red Hat is stopping the free 10 years cycle support provided by clones, and going the same route other distros are already in. The difference with RedHat is the fact that their free 5 years cycle distro (centos stream) is a tiny bit ahead of their subscription 10 years one (rhel). I personally don't see it as a deal breaker difference.
Am I missing something about the other distros?

I'm using CentOS Stream 9 hardened in production-level servers, and also in personal servers. The tooling, the community maturity, and the SELinux support of Enterprise Linux is much better than the alternative in my opinion.

I use Fedora for my personal workstation and my kid's computer, and what I love the most about Fedora is how it has become the vanguard in innovation among Linux distros.

RedHat is just being a for-profit company, aligning itself with the rest of Linux distros supported by a company. The only main difference is that their "free tier" is slightly ahead of their Enterprise subscription one. It depends how big of a deal that really becomes going forward, but so far I don't see indications that it will be a big deal. They have broken both in the past, the free and the paid.

Their contributions to opensource won't stop. The innovation in Fedora won't stop either. Jeff, I hope you reconsider your decision.

Regards,
Carlos R.F.