On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 17:57 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:54 +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
> > There are no stupid questions :)
> >
> > On most desktop systems firewall is not needed. Many users do not even
> > know how to configure it. In fact I disable it in most of my systems,
> > because there is no real use for it. So I asked a simple question
> > whether there is a need to install iptables by default?
>
> On most laptops, however, which are the most common types of system sold
> today, a firewall is very definitely needed when you're connecting to
> hotel networks, public wifi access points...

We're trying to get beyond that conventional wisdom and look at what
services might actually get unintentionally exposed in the absence of a
firewall and whether there is some other solution (e.g., don't enable
them by default, or bind to localhost).

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-December/146758.html

--
Matt