Once upon a time, Tomas Mraz <tm...@redhat.com> said:
> In the cups case might be probably reasonable to default to localhost.
> However for rpcbind it is clearly not so - what's the point of starting
> things that are mostly needed for NFS when you would be able to mount
> only NFS provided by the localhost and export it to the localhost only
> as well. In that sense it is debatable whether we want to have rpcbind
> ON by default but having it on and bind to localhost only does not make
> any sense to me.

Mounting remote NFS mounts doesn't require allowing the server to query
the local rpcbind, does it?  I think you only need to allow remote
access to rpcbind if you are exporting filesystems, at which point you
are configuring things anyway, so configure rpcbind to listen on the
network.

I don't think this would be a big deal to require, since today you have
to reconfigure the firewall if you are configuring an NFS server.

--
Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>