On Fri, Feb 9, 2024 at 2:25 PM Roy Bekken <roy.bek...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On fredag 9. februar 2024 18:28:15 CET Neal Gompa wrote:
> > The difference is that we can actually do something about those issues
> > with Plasma Wayland when people report them. *Tons* of these kinds of
> > issues were fixed over the past 3 years, and Plasma 6 brings a huge
> > upgrade around this stuff too. And the whole graphics pipeline is
> > fully under the control of KDE Plasma, so we can do things we've never
> > done before. That's why we can do VRR, HDR, VR, mixed-DPI, fractional
> > scaling, and so much more.
> >
> Nobody is saying that this is not awesome stuff but as of today, on some
> hardware, Wayland is not a great experience.
>
> I just booted Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-Rawhide-20240207.n.0.iso
> First impression is great but I’ll start moving(fast) the welcome center
> window around and the desktop randomly freezes from 30sec to 90ses.
>
> This is on a 1080 with nouveau, im not sure if its better with the proprietary
> drivers.

It will definitely be better with the proprietary drivers. One of the
members of Fedora KDE has the same graphics card and daily drives
Plasma Wayland with the proprietary drivers.

GTX 16, RTX 20, RTX 30, and RTX 40 series GPUs will hopefully work
much better out of the box starting with tonight's compose since we
will have the new nouveau driver stack fully enabled for those cards.
Sadly, that doesn't help folks with older GPUs (like my GTX 960 or
your GTX 1080), but it'll still be an improvement overall.