On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at>wrote:

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Right. To do this in systemd implies that you're patching openssh to
> > do socket-based activation... hence why I asked about upstream's opinion
> > on it.
>
> Why would we care?
>
> It's our goal to have ALL network daemons be socket-activated eventually.
> This is a distribution-wide feature and as such software MUST be patched to
> support it.

Socket activation is not mandatory or even a benefit in all cases.  Just
because we have a patch doesn't mean it is the right one.  Upstream might
have the foresight and the knowledge to see problems with patches we might
not.  There might be security implications.  It specific cases, we can
consider overriding upstream decisions but there should be very strong
reasons to do so.  Just because a license allows it doesn't make it best
practise.  It is always useful to get more peer reviews from patches with
the expertise in the codebase.  Upstream is a good place for that.

Rahul