On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:40:28AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Garrett <mj...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > The solution to "My kernel update doesn't boot" should be "Automatically
> > detect that that happened, give the user that information and fall back
> > to the old kernel", not "Always show the user a menu that they almost
> > always don't care about". Solve the actual problem.
>
> Agreed.  Having a simple one-shot boot facility would be awesome.  If anyone
> has ideas on how to accomplish this, please let me know.  I'd be willing to
> look at implementing this.

Add a byte to the grub config block (wherever setdefault gets written)
indicating whether a boot was clean or not. Have grub set clear that at
kernel load, and then have a userspace app that sets it at the
completion of boot. Check whether it's set or not on next boot and use
that to run a different config stanza.

In theory I think you could do something with the BIOS simple boot flag,
but that could get confusing in a dual boot scenario.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org