On 02/06/2012 11:58 AM, Peter Jones wrote:

grubby, and something would have to provide a systemd service.  Here's the
basic algorithm:

1) kernel's %post/%posttrans adds the new stanza using new-kernel-package/
     grubby, but doesn't make the new kernel default.
2) kernel's %post saves new kernel version someplace (/etc/sysconfig/newkernel
     for the purpose of this text, we can decide if there's a more appropraite
     place)
3) set next boot kernel to the new kernel with grub2-reboot
4) during boot up, a systemd service compares uname to /etc/sysconfig/newkernel
   a) if they match, it worked - use grubby to make it the default
   b) if they don't match, it failed - do whatever it is you guys want to do.

The only problem here is that when we get to 4b, we don't *really* know
that we've attempted to boot the new kernel - the user could have manually
intervened and booted the old (or some other) kernel.  Dunno how to avoid that.

Would this be solved by writing down the version (output of 'uname -r' and/or 'cat /proc/cmdline' ) of the kernel after it successfully boots? if it worked last time, it should work again.