On 03/21/2012 05:25 AM, Chris Tyler wrote:
Fully-emulated actually fits into the "Native Builds" guideline, but it
hasn't been economical to use this approach because there's no hardware
support for ARM emulation on x86 (the way that there is hardware
acceleration for x86 virtualization on x86) and it therefore requires a
very fast/expensive x86 box to emulate a slow/cheap ARM box.

The main place I see ARM emulation being useful is in allowing any packager with an x86 host to boot a simulated ARM host to resolve build failures in their package. That's not ideal- ideal is every package owner has an ARM system they can use, but it's perhaps a starting point. If other people have feedback on this point I'd be interested to hear their take on it. I think a combination of ARM emulation and providing a network-accessible set of test machines will go along way toward giving packagers what they need and plan to update the proposal to say so, subject to the feedback we get on this point.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / b...@redhat.com