On Apr 21, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 06:09:38PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Well, as far as I can tell, many Ubuntu and Debian users prefer to
>> call their release "by name".
>
> An annoying feature of Debian.  If you're not immersed in Debian
> development, it just means you have to go consult the mapping between
> names and release numbers on the Wikipedia page.  At least Ubuntu's
> names are ordered alphabetically.

Apple does it also, and Mac users frequently reference only the name not the
version. I find it irritating. As a Mac user, at best I remember the current
cat and the last cat. References to future cats, past cats, along with the
current cats, makes my eyes glaze over and I start thinking about how the
litter box is already too full. We definitely don't need more g.d. cats! Apple
doesn't name their iOS releases, however. Kinda curious huh?

Chris Murphy