On 12/12/2013 09:00 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 06:50:31PM +0100, Phil Knirsch wrote:
Now, to figure our how the build chains for these packages look like
i've cobbled together a (really bad) hack using python and
repoclosure that basically takes a set of packages as an input
(actually a set of requirements) and then spits out consecutively
the groups of packages needed to build the previous ones, so
basically a reverse grouped build order:

Nifty. I have the intuition that there might be particular nodes where
something pulls in an innocuous-looking dependency that leads to an
explosion of build requirements. If so, I bet there's a graphical
visualization of this that will make them jump out....

Right, that's actually on my plan as a next step. Ages ago (like, 5 years or so) we've done it once with the java cloud back then when Karsten Hopp was trying to unravel and bootstrap s390x for Fedora 12 once more. That graph alone huge and printed on A1 hung on his wall to mark off stuff that he managed to get built or fixed. :)

We still do have code for that, but it's pretty rotten by now[1] and probably needs quite a bit TLC.

I got 2 weeks of PTO over the holidays, so hopefully enough time to get more stuff done there.

Thanks & regards, Phil

[1] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/pyrpm.git/tree/scripts/pyrpmgraph

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111