On 12/13/2013 02:31 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:20:50 +0100,
   Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

* It might be interesting to have some script, which tries to audit
BR, e.g. it removes all BR first and then adds them back as they are
required. This could reveal some BR which are actually not needed
anymore, but are listed among BR from historic reasons.

The check for this needs to be careful. When some requirements are
missing a build can still succeed, but be missing intended features. So
you can't just test whether a build succeeds or fails to determine if a
build requirement is really needed.

Yep. I remember back when we did the s390x stuff for F12 that was one of the things we looked at specifically: Hacking things together to get at least building was a good start, but if you didn't install several other packages the build would still succeed but with autoconf automatically disabling several features.

Thats why i really like the way we've moved over the past 10 years or so to explicitly only have a pretty small buildsys environment and almost everything else needs to be explicitly required for building from the respective packages.

Famous last words: Can't be that hard to write a script that compares 2 builds that they provide the have the same provides and requires and filelists. :)

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111