On Tue, 2015-07-14 at 10:13 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Can we just drop comps entirely (or at least trim them down
> significantly)? I know that this will not happen from day to day, but
> I see the comps just as an ugly workaround for missing weak
> dependencies, which we have now.

I've always thought that comps is just an ugly extra layer that only
adds more work and indirection, and few if any benefits. So, I welcome
this suggestion. Of course, as with all extra layers, once it is there,
it tends to accrete random functionality. As others have pointed out in
this thread, comps has things such as the (still mysterious to me)
environment groups, and some translated strings. I don't think any of
the examples that were mentioned so far would make me go "yes, we
should really have an xml file look-aside somewhere to hold this
functionality".