On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 03:26, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
[...]
> > But *that* said, the current packaging means that grub2 adds 70MB on
> > disk — about 12% of the entire cloud image. I'm not saying grub2 is
> > evil, just that this is a big portion of the gain and is worth
> > attacking in order to reverse it. I talked briefly to Peter Jones and
> > he says there's quite a bit which can be done there, if going back to
> > extlinux doesn't seem like a viable option.
>
> These are needed on BIOS systems
> grub2-tools is 7MiB

Installed size is actually 36MB.
/usr/sbin/grub2-sparc64-setup is 2MB and probably doesn't work on
anything else than ppc64(le).
/usr/sbin/grub2-macbless is also 2MB and probably doesn't work on non-Macs

> grub2 is 3.8MiB
>
> These are needed on UEFI systems
> shim-signed is 633KiB
> grub2-efi is 837KiB
>
> So, I'm not sure where 70MB is coming from.
[...]

Matt was talking about 70MB on disk (installed size), not rpm package size.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."