On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:59:09AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > cares?" adds up. If it *got* us anything in terms of functionality,
> > okay, I can sell that to people, but for the base, this is just bloat.
> Bummer. The reason for libxkbcommon dependency is to be able to make
> sure that the new config is valid. Before that was added we had a set
> of rules and heuristics implemented in localed and regular bug reports
> when typos and other mistakes were not caught by localed but Xorg
> would not accept the new config. This is more important than might
> seem, 'cause people tend to get grumpy when a misconfigured keyboard
> mapping prevents them from typing in their password. So this dependency
> does bring useful functionality.

Well, it brings in useful functionality in some cases, but not in
others. It's unfortunate that we don't have a good way for each Fedora
edition or spin to decide which functionality is wanted. This
particular functionality seems very important on Workstation, and
moderately valuable on Server (and the tradeoff there isn't disk space,
but potential increased surface for bugs and security vulnerabilities),
but just deadweight for Cloud guests. Even with Atomic running on bare
metal, logging in at the console isn't an important use case. (If need
be, the console environment could be provided in a container.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>