On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:59:09AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> > cares?" adds up. If it *got* us anything in terms of functionality,
>> > okay, I can sell that to people, but for the base, this is just bloat.
>> Bummer. The reason for libxkbcommon dependency is to be able to make
>> sure that the new config is valid. Before that was added we had a set
>> of rules and heuristics implemented in localed and regular bug reports
>> when typos and other mistakes were not caught by localed but Xorg
>> would not accept the new config. This is more important than might
>> seem, 'cause people tend to get grumpy when a misconfigured keyboard
>> mapping prevents them from typing in their password. So this dependency
>> does bring useful functionality.
>
> Well, it brings in useful functionality in some cases, but not in
> others. It's unfortunate that we don't have a good way for each Fedora
> edition or spin to decide which functionality is wanted. This
> particular functionality seems very important on Workstation, and
> moderately valuable on Server (and the tradeoff there isn't disk space,
> but potential increased surface for bugs and security vulnerabilities),
> but just deadweight for Cloud guests. Even with Atomic running on bare
> metal, logging in at the console isn't an important use case. (If need
> be, the console environment could be provided in a container.)

Couldn't additional dracut subpackages similar to
dracut-config-generic (which is essentially just wrapping a dracut
config snippet) be cerated to include some modules?

A spin could then create a meta package to pull in the required dracut packages.

Just my 2ct.

- fabian