Reindl Harald wrote:
> frankly whatever somebody has run on a 10 years old machine can be
> easily virtualized and i doubt that many people have a 10 years old
> computer as their only device, as far there is something with a core2 or
> newer in the house you can virtualize the other machine and save a lot
> of energy

Virtualization is not a solution for most home users:
* It assumes you have multiple machines to replace with one VM host and VMs.
* Virtualization also does not magically provide you with monitors and
keyboards, which are essential parts of a home system. And the different
seats (where there is more than one computer to begin with) are often in
different rooms. This cannot trivially be replaced by a VM-based setup.
You'd need at least thin clients in addition to the VMs.

As for the "core2 or newer" part: The average Core 2 system is going to run
out of RAM very quickly if you try to run VMs on it. My Core 2 Duo notebook
can do hardware virtualization, and I use that to test live ISOs, but if I
start one Plasma 4 VM in addition to the Plasma 4 host, the RAM (4 GiB) is
already full (and Plasma 5 is reported to be no better and probably worse
there). (I need to allocate 2 GiB for the VM or Plasma will just not work in
it. If you count the same for the host, it's no surprise that the 4 GiB of
RAM end up full.)

You need to think outside of the company scenario you are used to (and even
your home is not a typical home user environment).

        Kevin Kofler