On Wed, 2016-02-03 at 08:44 -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> I know a number of companies have experimented with "ownership-free"
> models of code development, but they are able to offer incentives
> that
> Fedora cannot offer, such as money and kudos offered in front of
> coworkers.  What motivates volunteer packagers to do what they do?
> I'd like to hear from a few packagers on this topic.

I can't speak to the rest of the issues you've experienced as I haven't
so far. I became a packager because software I was using on some of our
systems weren't in Fedora/EPEL. I was using them and building them and
figured,
a) I've always wanted to contribute to FOSS but haven't really been
able to yet.
b) These are packages that I already have to deal with, might as well
have them in the distro to make life easier and provide them for
others.

Since that first package I'm the point of contact for a mere 12
packages and co-maintainer of 3. Each of those because I was using
something and needed newer versions or what have you. Looking at the
list, there are a number of dependencies on a package I'm the
maintainer of but no longer actively use, however it doesn't change
much so why not keep at it.