> On 03/02/16 08:44 -0700, Jerry James wrote:
>
>> 1. Demotivating packagers
>>
>> I know a number of companies have experimented with "ownership-free"
>> models of code development, but they are able to offer incentives that
>> Fedora cannot offer, such as money and kudos offered in front of
>> coworkers.  What motivates volunteer packagers to do what they do?
>> I'd like to hear from a few packagers on this topic.
>

> I want Fedora to be better.
>
>> If I send these two provenpackagers a somewhat hostile email, are you
>> going to blame me?  I have no problem with most provenpackager
>> changes.  In general, they have an obvious purpose and save me the
>> work of making the same change myself.  But changes like the ones
>> above make more work for me, work that could have been avoided if the
>> provenpackager in question had just bothered to make some attempt, any
>> attempt, to contact me first.
>

> I don't think that's always realistic to expect.
>
> When a provenpackager is rebuilding *hundreds* of packages at once,
> and trying to deal with maybe dozens of build failures, sending emails
> to all the package owners and waiting to see if they respond promptly
> is not an efficient way to get things fixed. Waiting for a reply adds
> a lot of latency, and then you have to context-switch back to a
> package you were dealing with a day or two ago. That's impractical
> when you have a patch ready to go now and loads more packages to look
> at.

I disagree with you on that point.
I agree with the premises that we can't expect provenpackagers to
contact every single maintainers for fixing a large number of packages
at once, but that's the role of fedora devel list.
If you can't contact everyone, a message on fedora-devel is good enough.

For instance, the desktop team maintains a spreadsheet before GNOME
rebuilds so that package maintainers can give their input before a
provenpackager do the builds.
That allows maintainer to provide valuable feedback like avoiding
borken versions upstream, or how to update patchset if they're
maintained in a specific way.

> Sometimes a provenpackager will make a bad change, and that's
> unfortunate, but it happens. Sometimes package owners make bad changes
> too! :-)

Yes, but provided that they sent a heads-up on usual communication
channels, there's no problem with it.

> If I make a bad change to a package please do let me know. If I appear
> to change things and walk away it's probably because I've moved on to
> look at other packages that also need attention, not just a careless
> hit & run. I would expect it's similar for others.

As a provenpackager, I always ping maintainers, and try to minimize
impact (e.g not fixing spec to my personal liking w/o agreement)
As a packager, I usually go through the changes, unless it broke
something or is non-trivial, I'm fine with letting it go.

<joke>If you add epoch to packages I co-maintain without telling me,
I'll hate you until the ends of time ;-)</joke>