Hi everyone,

I've spent some time trying to minimize the footprint of the Fedora docker base image. Overall, I managed to reduce its size by 39.9%.

A summary of the work I did can be found here: https://gist.github.com/iamcourtney/1a4af7c4289014f57080

If you're interested, you can find a more detailed version of the above work here: https://gist.github.com/iamcourtney/b8709ed897b7ecc9ac0f

I essentially looked at which packages were being installed to the base image and tried to determine which of those packages could be turned into weak dependencies and which of those packages we could possibly break up.

If possible, I'd like some feedback on the work I did. Comments and criticism are more than welcomed! I realize there may be some controversy in terms of what I chose to remove and what I chose to turn into weak dependencies, but I would like to hear your thoughts either way.

As a side note, I originally posted my preliminary results to atomic-devel list a few weeks ago, but I used some of the feedback I got to make improvements. I also was able to reduce glibc with the help of Carlos O'Donell.

Thanks!