On 02/22/2016 11:26 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Courtney Pacheco (cpach...@redhat.com) said:
Hi everyone,

I've spent some time trying to minimize the footprint of the Fedora docker
base image. Overall, I managed to reduce its size by 39.9%.

A summary of the work I did can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/iamcourtney/1a4af7c4289014f57080

If you're interested, you can find a more detailed version of the above work
here: https://gist.github.com/iamcourtney/b8709ed897b7ecc9ac0f
May be a dumb question...

If we're excluding DNF, RPM, etc. for a slimmer base image during runtime,
how are we describing the best practices for build? Is the intention that
you should always be pulling in a separate tool container to assist with
the build process?

Bill
Hi Bill,

Ideally, we'd like to remove dnf and other tools that build the image because it's like shipping the "BuildRequires" fields as part of a binary rpm.

In place of dnf, rpm, etc., we'd like to have a "builder tool" that volume mounts dnf or other tools during the build, or builds and produces an image using outside tools. So yes, the intention would be to pull in a separate tool container to assist with the build process.

Hope that helps

Courtney