On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:04:40AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-02-22 at 09:54 -0500, Courtney Pacheco wrote:
>
> > If possible, I'd like some feedback on the work I did. Comments and
> > criticism are more than welcomed! I realize there may be some
> > controversy in terms of what I chose to remove and what I chose to turn
> > into weak dependencies, but I would like to hear your thoughts either way.
>
> Removing tzdata seems like a bad idea. I think a small amount of code
> change could make the cost of keeping tzdata much lower. Virtually all
> of the tzdata files are less than 4 kilobytes, so most of the on-disk
> storage cost is block size overhead:
>
> dmt:~% du -s --apparent-size /usr/share/zoneinfo
> 1720  /usr/share/zoneinfo
> dmt:~% du -s /usr/share/zoneinfo
> 4780  /usr/share/zoneinfo
>
> Possible options include:
>
> a) Glue all the compiled zone info together in a single file, teach
> glibc and friends about it
> b) Glue the zone info together in a romfs image, mount it from a
> systemd unit
> c) Both of the above: glue them all together in a romfs, add a
> fuse/overlay fs to expose the individual files
> d) Mount a zoneinfo fs exported from the host

The 'posix' and 'right' subdirectories in /usr/share/zoneinfo could be
dumped and then whichever one we want could just be installed as
/usr/share/zoneinfo.  The 'posix' collection are the zones without counting
leap seconds normally, the 'right' collection are the zones with leap
seconds counted normally.

--
David Cantrell <dcantr...@redhat.com>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team