> What makes you think that this will be a proprietary version of Android?
> Android is licensed Apache 2.0 with kernel patches as GPLv2[1], although
> there have been some proprietary apps and customizations on top.

I hadn't looked closely enough to see the detailed licensing.  But I'd
seen the news stories about Google cease-and-desists to the guys making
improved free versions.  Is a useful fully-free version readily
available, as a practical option?

(This is mostly off-topic for OLPC, unless there's a plan to try
Android on XO hardware, which might be amusing.  20,000 apps and an
active developer base might be an attraction, versus the hundred or
two Sugar apps.)

        John