On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Danilo Pianini
<danilo.pian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/14 Fabio Erculiani <lx...@sabayon.org>:
>> Note that I am not interested in fixing this, since:
>> 1. fglrx won't be the default anyway in the near future
>> 2. KMS will be enabled by default
>
> You do not get it, maybe. If you start S10 on AMD 4xxx hardware, it
> simply does not work. I'm not talking about fglrx or not, It loads ati
> but does not work.

Hello?! The solution is to enable KMS by default. Do you want it? Then
forget about fglrx as default.
Hello!? (Knock knock!)

> Have you been testing it on other AMD hardware? It
> wasn't working on HD6670 either.

Have you provided logs? No. Did other users (Joost) reported issues? No.
>From a driver/software standpoint, fglrx is fine and implemented
correctly (Joost did test it).

As I said, go buy real hardware next time, not bricks.

> My suggestion is just to be careful
> and be sure not to release a distro which does not work on all the AMD
> graphic hardware.

Not my problem, file bugs upstream.

>> You said that fglrx is great, then why did they drop support for older cards?
>
> For us, it should just mean that the ideal situation is to use fglrx
> for HD5xxx+ cards and ati+modesetting otherwise, since we cannot do
> anything better.

Once I will enable KMS for radeon by default in Linux 3.6, this won't
be possible out of the box, and the user would need to provide
"nomodeset" boot option in order to have fglrx working and loaded.
We don't force kernel upgrades on users so this will be fine and a
notice will be issued in any case once 3.6 is in main repos.

Can you understand the problem? I'm not sure you are (knock knock?).

>> Buy real hardware next time.
>
> Don't be silly: I'm not the only one with this kind of hardware (I
> actually tested S10 on a HD4500 in a friend's notebook, since I
> currently have no access to other same-class AMD hardware).

Tell your friends to buy real hardware next time (Intel and NVIDIA are
both great).

--
Fabio Erculiani