Hi Johan,

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Johann Fischer <johann_fisc...@posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hello RIOTers,
>
> Emmanuel Baccelli <emmanuel.bacce...@inria.fr> wrote:
> > we have been receiving an increasing amount of negative feedback from
> > various companies concerning the practical usability of our LGPL license
> in
> > their context, being a show-stopper.
>
> They always do that. We have seen it in other successful projects such as
> linux
> kernel. I see RIOT as a part of a free an open infrastructure.
> And for the IoT we need an open infrastructure. There are
> companies that use (public) infrastructure but want to give anything back
> and
> BSD license favored this behavior. RIOT should not be another Contiki.

I agree with you: we need "another Linux" and not "another Contiki". But
two questions:
(1) can we realistically mimic the Linux story and stay with LGPL?
(2) why would RIOT necessarily become "another Contiki" if the license
evolves to BSD/MIT?

Concerning (1): what does our experience from the last year show? That LGPL
is far from a perfect solution, because too many company lawyers cannot
deal with it. On the other hand, we know that BSD/MIT also has its down
sides. So we have to trade-off between the "dangers of BSD/MIT" and the
"dangers of LGPL". There is no perfect solution, I agree. But still, we
have to make a choice.

On one hand, if we do not change the license, we can force people to do
things our way, and it has indeed moral value. But it's difficult to force
people/companies to do things. Those who do not want to, or cannot, "give
back" will simply not use RIOT in the first place -- hence a much slower
adoption that looks like a potentially fatal problem in the short term.

If we change the license, some people/companies could indeed fork and close
their source, and that is not what we want. However, these people will use
RIOT and have a chance to change their mind about contributing back -- when
they realize the burden of rebasing their code all the time. The bet is
that the momentum in the community will remain sufficiently attractive to
aggregate enough contributions to thrive in the mid-term.

What is the most unclear to me is: what are the consequences of the choice
of license in the long run?

However, one thing is for sure: this question is irrelevant if we're out in
the mid-term.

The value of an open source community is equally (i) the quality of the
code base it provides and (i) the liveliness of the community. So
concerning (2), do you think BSD/MIT would:

- harm the RIOT community?
- harm the RIOT code base?

If so how, and at which stage (short, mid long term), and how bad? Is it
worse the risks of too slow adoption if we stay with LGPL? This is what we
really have to gauge now.

Cheers

Emmanuel