Hi Peter and Thomas,

I was quite skeptical about my pin connections/configurations. I did realize
that the default pin mapping of the Atmel driver could be a problem so I had
already defined my own pin mapping in the file
"/boards/stm32f4discovery/include/board.h" before writing to the mailing list.
I defined it as follows:-

#define AT86RF2XX_PARAMS_BOARD {
        .spi = SPI_0, \
        .spi_speed = SPI_SPEED_5MHZ, \
        .cs_pin = GPIO_PIN(PORT_A, 0), \
        .int_pin = GPIO_PIN(PORT_E, 0), \
        .sleep_pin = GPIO_PIN(PORT_E, 1), \
        .reset_pin = GPIO_PIN(PORT_E, 2)}

After reading the thread that Peter referred to, I checked the file
"/boards/stm32f4discovery/include/board.h" and saw that there is an overlap on
PA0:-

#define BTN_B1_PIN          GPIO_PIN(PORT_A, 0)

The reason I defined AT86RF2XX_PARAMS_BOARD as above is the link
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Board%3A-STM32F4discovery where a picture
of the STM32F4DISCOVERY board shows the different pins. I just assumed that
GPIO_0 (PA0), GPIO_1 (PE0), GPIO_2 (PE1), GPIO_3 (PE2), as shown in the
picture, are not connected to anything and hence free to use. My assumption was
obviously wrong.

I will fix my pin configuration tomorrow and see if it works for me. Thanks for
your replies. You guys are really helpful.

Regards,
Adeel