On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:01:56PM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> > > I think that <http://www.xfree86.org/current/BUILD.html> is a
> > > reasonable introduction to building XFree86, but suggestions for
> > > improving that document are most welcome.
>
> Going through the current BUILD.html file again I see that things are a
> lot clearer now. However one thing that needs to be explained is the
> section that says 'When the build is finished, you should check the
> World.log file to see if there were any problems'. Fair enough. Well the
> first time a user attemps to do exactly that, they will bring it up in
> their favorite editor and immediately say to themselves 'How the hell do
> I know if there is an error!'. The next obvious idea is to grep for
> 'error', but that also is not good because there are lots of files with
> 'error' in the filename!
>
> As I have now found out, there are a few simple grep commands that can be
> used to grep the World.log file and determine if any errors occurred. It
> would be really nice if the BUILD file had a description of a good grep
> command and how it can be used to check for errors. That would have saved
> me a lot of time also tracking down the weird '@Aliases' build problem I
> was having ;-)

Kendall,

Your obviously making good progress on getting things going, but the
problems your hitting are kind of hidden to the die hard developers.

Your making observations on how some of the documentation is deficient.
What I would recommend you doing is changing the documentation and submitting
a patch to improve it rather than relying on others to update it. That
would be a great bonus!

Alan.