OW> Researching, I found that the Dell C400 and other similar laptops
OW> had this problem too (with an older chipset), but a work around
OW> was written (by Abraham vd Merwe?).

The need for any kind of hack or workaround on a C400 and other i830
and i845 based machines was eliminated quite a while ago.  XFree86
4.3.0 certainly doesn't need any hacks to work, at least with
recent-enough Linux kernels which have AGP support for the chipset.
(The various BSDs should probably have support as well.)  Graphics
memory is dynamically allocated via AGP.

No idea about the D400; I just got one in, but it's running windows
and I have no time to play with it before I have to give it to its
owner.

 - J<