The fix was unsuccessful coming from one person on the Dell forums who
tried it (I think some others are going to try it though - I posted it
on the Gentoo forums).

Thanks for your efforts... if another possible workaround surfaces, I'd
be glad to give it a try (or find someone who will =).

Another idea... if no software/driver workaround is possible and Dell
refuses to update/fix their BIOS, is there any feasible way of modifying
the BIOS independant of Dell?  ie. grabbing the image file and finding
where it specifies 832KB (or whatever it sets it to... 896 or
something?) and changing that to around 8MB?  I'm not sure if the BIOS
could be interpretted or not though (seen in assembly - or just a bunch
of bits).

Is this possible?... legal? Definately risky, I know.

-Oliver