Sottek, Matthew J writes:
 > The Windows driver does full mode programming including all the external
 > digital components from many 3rd party companies. The open source XFree

This is pretty much what the SiS driver does after Thomas got his
hands on it. It programms the SiS and it knows about several video
bridges attached to it.

 > driver sets modes by using the video bios. That way it does not have to
 > have full programming capabilities for 3rd party components. The XFree
 > driver is therefore limited to what the vbios can do while the Windows
 > driver is not.

It is nice to know that - yet it doesn't solve our problem.
The users want to use their systems at resolutions and depths that
are common these days and they care very little about it what the
capablilities of the BIOS are.
I know that the BIOS offers a rather easy way to get over the very
difficult task of getting the video modes right. In fact I was
the one who started the int10 and VESA BIOS stuff - mainly to
get the secondary graphics boards posted.
However we realize over and over again that the implementation
of the VESA BIOS functions is done sloppy and that we are seeing
more problems (which we cannot fix) as if we had gone the hard
route.

Anyway, the solution in this case however should be much simpler:
the BIOS knows about the other modes as they get listed. It just
refuses to set them them it doesn't see more than 892 kB of video
memory.
The BIOS just needs to be convinced of that. We had two ways of
doing that. One was by setting some BIOS flags, the other was
using a VESA BIOS interface. For whatever reason there is at
least one more way. Now it is the BIOS vendors' term to provide
us with the necessary information.

Egbert.